To serve you better, we've assembled a list of our residents' most frequently asked questions. If you don't find your answer here, feel free to contact us.

Frozen Pipes

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does it take to get a library card?

Our librarian will be able to supply you with a new library card the same day you apply.

Are electronic books available?

No, not at this time.

Does the Library have "story time" for younger children?

We do offer "story time" for younger children!  Give us a call if the current schedule is not posted.

Town Hall

What hours is Town Hall open?

City Hall is open from 8am - 4pm daily.


May I burn trash and leaves inside the city limits?

No, not at the current time due to dry conditions in our county.  Please contact city hall if you have any questions.

Application Process

I am interested in applying for a job with the Town of Centreville, what do I do?

You will need to fill out an application if available.  Please ensure you meet the qualifications for the position you wish to be considered for.  If you would like to include a resume, simply attach it to the completed application. You may mail or drop off the application at City Hall.  Interviews will be scheduled accordingly.

Does the Town of Centreville hire part time employees?

Yes, we do hire part time employees.  Availability of these positions will be posted here when available.

Building Permits & Inspections

What is the process for getting a building permit?

Take a moment to read all required information provided. Then print and fill out the building permit application form and return to city hall.  Should you have any additional questions, please feel free to give us a call or send us an email.  We will be happy to help you.

Sanitation & Recycling

When are the garbage collection days for my street?

Please refer to the monthly schedule. Remember, observed holidays will alter the normal routine.

Water & Gas Utilities

How could I have used this much water?

You may not have - the numbers on your meter may have been transposed or hard to read. You could possibly have a leaky toilet or faucet that's difficult to detect. Just call the office and we'll work with you to solve the problem.

My bill is past due can I get an extension?

Please contact our office. Extenuating circumstances may require you being placed on the next month's agenda to speak with the Board of Aldermen.

What do I do if I am experiencing low pressure?

Check your meter and the surrounding area for possible leaks. Next, call our office and report low pressure for your area.

Why do I have a previous balance when I know I sent in my payment?

We may have received it after the due date or we may not have received it at all. Call our office and we will help you solve the problem.

Why is my water discolored?

A repair could have been completed recently allowing air to enter the line, causing the milky look.

Is my meter working correctly?

The mechanical design of a wate meter is very similar to the odometer in your car. It will only measure the amount of water coming through the meter. The meter will never run faster than it was designed to, and it cannot speed u pr register a higher reading than actual usage. As the mechanism ages, the meter slows, measuring less usage and eventually stops registering altogether. During regular maintenance, the Town replaces these meters when the need arises.

What do I do if there is water in my meter box?

Meter boxes are set in the ground and will retain water from various sources such as rain, sprinklers or runoff. If none of these are sources and you see water in your meter box, you may have a leak. Look at the dials on the meter. Movement of the dial tells you water is moving through your meter and that you are losing water somewhere on your side of the meter. If the dial is not turning, you may have a service leak. A service leak is a leak on the Town side of the meter and does not affect your consumption or your water bill.

Why is my sewer bill different each month?

Your sewer bill is calculated by the amount of water consumption at 63%. Meaning, your sewer bill will cost you 63% of your water consumption. Centreville is currently using a sewer lagoon treatment facility.

I have found and repaired my leak. Can I get an adjustment?

The Town can adjust your water bill if you had water go through your meter that you did not receive any use of such as a leak. A customer only needs to bring in plumbing receipts for parts or services (or both) showing the repairs have been completed to the Board of Aldermen meeting the first Tuesday of each month at 6:00pm in the Board room at the Town Hall. Once approved by the board the bill can be adjusted.

New Resident Resources

How do I sign up to receive Alerts and News & Notices?

Simply click the "Sign Up for Alerts" button located ……fill out the brief form with your preferred contact information and click submit

Where do I go to vote?

All City elections are conducted by the City of Centreville please visit the elections page for locations and upcoming election information.